Short Story - Still It's You!

by 20:02 0 comments

Still It’s You

‘So where do you see yourself in five years?’ asked the interviewer, who held the right to make my dream come true. ‘I want an honest answer this time,’ he added, stressing that the lies I told him thus far had failed to impress him.

‘I don't like to speculate about my future but we will see it anyways, someday,’ I answered hastily trying to cover up my cluelessness with wit. But deep down inside I knew quite well that the dreams of my parents were about to collapse.

And when the results were out, the moment of pride was literally lost forever in the darkness of a remarkable day.

‘An old dream is shattered only to build a new and better dream,’ her encouraging words were the only comfort I received that day.

That day we both had a new dream, a common dream which only I could fulfill. In that shared dream, she did not impose herself into the scene. She taught me how one should love enough to let other go, to be happier with the one they choose to be with. It is not a sacrifice, rather a selfish act because it is only the happy face of your beloved that can make you happier.

I would not have understood the true meaning of those words until that day when I left the beautiful roses to turn dark and die because her hands were busy embracing the person she chose to be with, someone who could bring a wider smile on her face, someone who would make her happier.

***

Since then, five long years have passed and amidst the haunting memories of my parents’ tragic death, your smile still echoes in my room, my cover pictures are still dedicated to you, your happy face on Facebook photos still make my day. Remind-joe still reminds me of those immortal moments we created to perfection and my drawer is still full of those lovely gifts that only you could give me.

Our common dream of becoming ‘the voice of the voiceless’ has finally been realized today. The dream of touching thousands of lives and providing them the best medication through writing has finally worked. Thousands of unknown faces screaming my name in an event meant for press meeting is the ultimate moment of truth and of regaining the lost pride.

‘First of all congratulations, Sir, for achieving the best-seller mark for your debut novel ‘Still In Search Of Love’. How does it feel?’ a media person asked among the shrill voices of those who once deemed themselves as voiceless and preferred to yell at themselves only in their lonely minds.

‘Well, it is a dream becoming true in the real sense.’

‘Monojit, your book was dedicated to your late parents and to the person who considered you as her first love. Was she your first love as well?’

‘Well, as the book says ‘If you know what love is, then it’s time to try love after love but if you don’t know, once is enough.’ I guess I am still in pursuit of the meaning of love. Furthermore, you can only call something as ‘first’ when you experience the ‘second’ of it. Unfortunately I am not meant to.’

‘Hello Sir, any message you would like to give to everyone present in the hall?’

‘Free advice for all you meant!’ There were giggles in the audience. ‘That we all are smart is beyond doubt just as we are yet to be conscious of what we are really doing. Don’t just be in a relationship because your surrounding forces you to, love can happen only once; rest is just trying to find the substitution for the first.’

Sometimes relationship needs an ending and that’s where love takes over.

May be that is how true, immortal love sounds like!

Monojit Dutta

Just Another Writer

Hey! Thanks For Visiting My Blog. I Assume You Are Not Really Interested In Knowing Who I Am And What I Do. That's Probably Because You Don't Care Or You Already Know. Just In Case You Are An Exception To My Assumption, Facebook Is Always There For You. Do Come Back Again. Cheerio!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your Opinion Matters As Much As Your Read!